A LITTLE SWEET SUMMIN' SUMMIN' -BAKED APPLES
We've all been there.
We've had our avocado on gluten-free, rye bread for breakfast.
We've had our quinoa bowls with roasted vegetables and kale.
But when it hits 8pm and you're in that post supper lull feeling the sweet tooth monster come out, what can you do? Devouring half a pack of Oreos and a tub of our old friend's Ben and Jerry is not the answer. WE REPEAT.
This is something that we like to knock up for those moments when we don't have our Limitless on hand. The humble baked apple- ain't she a looker.
Besides an apple a day keeping the doctor away... do you know how good raisins are for you? Raisins are a great boost of energy when you’re feeling sluggish. These little gems are a high source of dietary fibre, and are super high in a trace mineral called boron. Boron is important for healthy bones and absorbing calcium to keep you moving. And that goes without the other added benefits from cinnamon and our friends the pecan nut.
Give it a try and don't forget to tag us on Instagram for a feature- we love seeing our creations come to life.
- 50g pecans
- 6 Braeburn apples
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp vegan yoghurt [optional]
- ½ a vanilla pod, split open lengthways
- A handful of raisins
- Granola [optional]
- Preheat your own to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Crush the pecans by placing them in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin gently break them into pieces.
- Peel the apples, slice them in half and cut out the core. Put the apples core side up, on the baking tray.
- Mix together the honey, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Drizzle this mixture over the apples, then sprinkle the pecans over the top. Bake in the heated oven for 20-25 minutes until the apples are soft and slightly golden.
- Put the yoghurt into a bowl. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and stir into the yoghurt.
- Serve the apples hot with a dollop of vanilla yoghurt on top and a sprinkle of raisins and granola if you're feeling plush.